Saturday, December 31, 2011

I've always had this fear of settling down.
A fear of commitment.
Of accumulating more than what would be able to fit into my jeep.

Over the last few months. that fear has been broken.
After 4 years in Calgary. I think I am finally ready to accept that this IS my new home. This is where my career is. This is where my friends are. This is the city that is now my home.

When my dad was my age he was living in San Diego and Jamaica working as a dive master. He was diving everyday. He didn't have a care in the world(it was the 70's I guess). Growing up I alway envied that about him. To be able to just move somewhere nice, work doing something you love..having the time if your life. I think he always hoped I would do the same. I hoped I'd do the same

When my mom was my age. She did the exact opposite. She always wanted me to go to college right out of high school. She wanted me to get a good education. <--- I did that.

Thru prayer and fasting... I came to realize that I would be going to university first. Playing later.

But over the past 7 years I have always wanted to just pack everything I own into my jeep.
Take it to a storage unit. Grab my dive gear and move to Cali to be a dive instructor.
Unfortunately, That will not be the case for me.


I have accepted that this is my life. Or. Is it?
Because of the education I have. Because of the Career that I have. Because of the {perks} of having said career I get 4 weeks vacation every year. That 4 weeks will be spent enjoying sun, sand and non stop diving.

I am grateful I am able to enjoy the best of both worlds.

I have my college education. I have the resources to be able to go and do the things I love. This was the best situation for me. I realize it's not for everyone. So whatever your situation may be. Enjoy the life you've made. Find Joy in the journey

I finally realized I'm not sacrificing my dreams if I want to settle down.

Here's to 2012.

I guess I'm off to buy a couch. If that's not commitment. I'm not sure what is ;)

xo
L.

No comments: