Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mormon Culture

Ha. Ha. I am curious as to your first thought when you hear that phrase?

I can think of over 2343466454 ones. We truly are a peculiar people.

I'm actually curious as to what you think is werid/random in the mormon culture. please comment below.

So today at Church in my parents family ward I saw one of my friends from highschool sitting awfully close to a girl(now he has 5 sisters) so I was checking heads to see which one it was and BAM it was none of them. [little background on my group of friends from highschool, none of us ever really had relationships we all hung out as groups and RARELY paired off, so see my guy friends getting married and having babies is really werid to me] even werider is seeing the kid in my sunday school class growing up who use to pick his scabs and eat them sitting so closely to a girl, and having his arm around her. SO WERID. I don't get to see "Jeff" very often. He lives in another city and we frankly just grew apart between going to school and serving missions. We hang out when we're home and have class gatherings but I haven't really had a heart to heart with him for a while so I had no idea if he was dating her or even how serious it was.

So what do I do. The NORMAL thing to do would be to ask him, since we are such good friends, however I think I am a little detective and so I wanted to find out on my own. I waited until she put her arm around him and BAM no RING, so I assume it's not THAT serious. Ha.

Ok girls/guys how many of us have done that? I admit I do it all the time. Especially when I'm in the homeland(Utah or Rexburg) when meeting a member of the opposite sex I always without FAIL look at the left ring finger. That finger sure says alot about a person does it not? Can I get an AMEN? HA! If there is anything on that ring, I smile and walk the other way-why waste your time getting to know that person? HA HA....oh frig I'm funny... no but seriously.

Story about this. A couple weeks ago at football I got a blister on my foot so I was sitting out playing with one of the guys dogs, and we were next to a play ground and this way hot guy with a little kid( I know the kid should have tipped me off, but it didn't) and he came over to see the dog and I was playing it cool(may or may not have pretended louis-the dog was mine) he brought his left hand up to pet the dog and there was a white gold wedding band ENCRUSTED with diamonds(ps I don't like it when guys have diamonds on their wedding band. just me tho) and I promptly stopped paying attention to him and went back to playing football.

It's that simple- if they have a ring on, I peace out.


xoxox

<3

6 comments:

~AmandA~ said...

:( Super sad I missed your pretty face yesterday but I was too busy dying in my bed. You are right about the whole ring thing though.

Lachele said...

Bahaha well atleast you know who I was talking about then haha

Heather said...

I TOTALLY do ring checks. And garment checks. Honestly. Honestly, honestly. I don't even do it conciously! And if I see a couple I look to see if the girl has a ring. If she doesn't, all I really have to do is wait for them to break up. I guess I check for G's because I'm young and often think the preemies are cute. Oh, still got the mission to worry about? Don't waste my time. Thanks! Hah.

Good post, Lach.

Leinani said...

The weirdest thing I've noticed that has also annoyed me is what happens after a YSA activity. I hate it when I'm helping to put away chairs and there's a ton of guys standing aroung doing NOTHING. Stupid Minglers. If a guy wants to impress me, he should at least start by helping with clean-up!

Single Ladies said...

oh i do ring checks all the time.. hahah love this post.
xoxo
Lauren

Kait au Lait said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .... Love it. I do it too ... must be the dry mormon in me. =P